Hello everyone! I apologize that it's been so long since my last post--I have been so busy with classes that I haven't had much time! This summer we have three classes: ulpan (hebrew immersion), cantillation (Torah chanting), and Biblical Archaeology. All three have been great, and I really like my teachers. I keep reminding myself that we are learning things that will serve as a foundation for the rest of our careers, and it is so exciting!!
Yesterday a bunch of us went to Tel Aviv for the day. It was great to be out of Jerusalem and just relax. We went to the shuk, (outdoor market) and to the beach, which was beautiful. Then we joined up with a local congregation that does outdoor beach services every Friday night during the summer. Hundreds of people were there, and there was a lot of singing and dancing. It was beautiful to see the sunset over the Mediterranean. Tel Aviv is so different than Jerusalem, partly because its a much bigger city with a lot more people, and partly because it is a lot less religious. I felt like I was in any big metropolis while I was there, whereas when I am in Jerusalem I know I am in a place unlike any other in the world. I love Tel Aviv and look forward to spending more time there when I need to get out of Jerusalem, but when I came back here I found myself appreciating the beauty of this city even more.
I recently learned about a protest that is happening in several cities throughout Israel relating to the affordable housing crisis. We talked about in ulpan, actually!! There are hundreds of people who are living in tents in the street and in parks to protest how expensive the housing is here. Some of the people are students, some are homeless, and some are just individuals doing it for solidarity. There was a newspaper article that we read in class profiling some of the people who were there, and I found myself fascinated by the whole situation. For the past year I have worked to try and find affordable housing for individuals who clearly needed it, and I rarely had any luck. Affordable housing in America is scarce for a lot of reasons, but there still are lots of buildings and programs available. Additionally, many cities have housing authorities that work to create affordable or subsidized housing. In Israel, it's not like that at all, and most of the housing is incredibly expensive. I don't think the idea of section 8 exists here! I am not sure what kind of solution the people who are protesting are looking for, but it will be interesting to see what comes of it.
Tonight I am leading Havdallah for a birthright group, and I am very excited. It's great to see young people (although I suppose I still fall into that category!) experience Israel and try to understand its many complexities. I love it here and am having the best time on my program, and haven't been so happy in a long time! I hope everyone is doing well and please email or skype me if you have time! I miss all of you lots!
No comments:
Post a Comment