New Adventures, Learning, Living in Jerusalem!

Welcome to my blog! This is an opportunity for me to share my pictures, thoughts, feelings, and maybe even some bits of Torah with all of you! Please check frequently, as there will be lots of new blog posts all the time! Enjoy!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Everything I learned in Hebrew School is wrong...

Hello everyone!

Happy Thursday!  It has been a great week so far!   My Hebrew ulpan class went to the Jerusalem Bird Conservatory, which was completely random but also a lot of fun.  It was great to get out of the classroom and enjoy being outside, even if I didn't understand entirely what I was doing there.  The tour we got was entirely in Hebrew, but I was really happy that I understood most of it.  The birds were beautiful and the grounds itself are really nice, so I hope to get back there soon and spend more time.  Wednesday was the longest day ever--we had two tests in one day!  I had a Hebrew exam that covered basically everything we had learned so far, which was a little overwhelming.  I don't know how I did yet, but I am hoping not terribly!  Then we had a Biblical Archaeology quiz, which wasn't so bad except that our teacher did not tell us really what was going to be on it, so I ended up over-studying by a lot.  I suppose its better than being unprepared!

Today our class went to the Israel Museum for a Biblical Archaeology trip.  I had been there before and have really enjoyed it, but it was cool to go with my teacher who is incredibly knowledgeable about all things relating to the Ancient Near East.  In class we talked a lot about the Exodus from Egypt and whether or not based on historical findings, it could have actually happened.  There are a TON of examples where the biblical narrative doesn't match up at all either chronologically or geographically with historical or archaeological research.  For example: Egyptian history is usually divided up into three parts: the Old Kingdom (approximately 3000-2000 BCE), the Middle Kingdom (2000-1700 BCE), and the New Kingdom.  Based on archaeological findings, carbon dating, and research done by biblical scholars, it appears that the pyramids were built during the time of the Old Kingdom.  The problem is, if that's true than there is no way the Israelites could have built the pyramids, because we weren't around then.  Another example: Historians have found mentions of Ramses the 2nd as the Pharaoh during the time of the Exodus.  During his reign, Egypt also had control over the land of Israel, which means that if the Jews did in fact leave Egypt during Ramses' reign, presumably they were just going to another place controlled by Egypt.  There also is NO reference in Egyptian history to the enslavement of the Israelites specifically, although there are times when it discusses foreigners who were slaves.  Also, there are a lot of narratives depicting the capture of slaves who tried to escape, so it seems unlikely that 600,000 Jews could have just walked right out of Egypt and gotten the hell out of there with no problems.  All of this is really interesting, but also somewhat troubling.  If the Exodus narrative that I grew up learning in Hebrew school is wrong, then what does that say about the rest of what I know to be Jewish history?  Also, if this huge narrative that basically defines the Jewish experience isn't totally accurate, than what does that say about the Jewish people?  How can I, as a Jewish leader, help facilitate conversations about God and about the history of the Jewish people if I am not sure any of it is true?

The famous author Ahad Ha'am wrote a beautiful article that talks a lot about "historical truth," which is the idea that even if a biblical narrative is not entirely factual, the fact that it serves as a building block for religious education and a way for the Jewish people to identify with religion and ritual practice, then that's all that matters.  It doesn't matter if Moses actually existed, if the Jewish people use that narrative as a way to express and relate to their faith than who cares?  In some ways I agree with this, because while I don't think the Bible is divinely inspired, I do think its important for Jews to know and understand the ancient text.  But at the same time, I'm not sure I'm comfortable just saying "who cares."  History is such an important part of the Jewish people and if we got it wrong, then we should probably figure out what the truth is.  It's a little overwhelming to be hearing all of this as I start my journey to be a Jewish leader, but I suppose that's the point.  How can I be an effective leader if I don't understand the confusion and contradictions that exist within my own faith?  How can I help other people gain fulfillment from the texts if I don't totally understand them myself?  However, how can I possibly grasp all of the contradictions and reconcile all the apparent historical inaccuracies in the Bible?  I know that this is what this year is about, and the point of this course is to challenge my notions of what is true and what is not, and also to decide if it really matters.  It's fascinating stuff either way, but its also confusing and a little unsettling.  All those years I spent reciting the Passover story with finger puppets and plastic plague figures clearly was not entirely accurate!  It's a little bit like finding out that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist, and that its really my mom putting a dollar under my pillow.  I am sure as the year goes on I will be able to answer a lot of my questions and figure out whether it matters that there are inaccuracies and contradictions in the Bible.  But in the meantime, I will just soak it all in and be okay with my current state of confusion.

Early Shabbat Shalom and love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment