Hello everyone! Happy Monday! I am still getting used to this whole having class on Sundays situation, but its happening slowly. There are times when I find myself not actually knowing what day it is, which tends to be a bit of a problem.
Ulpan (my hebrew class) is going well, I have been scoring consistently high on my assignments and quizzes, which makes me happy. Clearly all that Brandeis Hebrew paid off! I was nervous at first, I switched into a higher level class and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do it, but I can! Tomorrow we have a field trip to a bird conservatory (I have no idea what that has to do with anything we have learned or are learning, but I'm just going with it...)
We also are doing a cantillation class to learn how to chant Torah. Its great, because I never really learned the trope. I memorized my Torah portion for my Bat Mitzvah (shh, don't tell anyone!) and so never got the chance to learn how to chant without a wonderful cantor singing it on a tape. The cantor who is teaching us is great, and very patient, which is necessary since most of us have no idea what we are doing.
My biblical history class is also going well, although its a little confusing. We went on a trip the other day and I wasn't really following the narrative that my teacher was telling. It didn't seem to be in any chronological order, which is how I tend to learn best, so that was a bit of a problem. He also handed us a topographical map (which to me looked like a piece of paper with lots of squiggly lines on it) and asked us to fill it in with the various landmarks of Jerusalem. I had no idea what to do, so I just stared at it for a while and hoped the squiggly lines would magically become coherent. I am pretty sure I was not the only one confused, so hopefully we can ask him to explain at another time. The trip was interesting though, and made me realize why I love learning in Israel so much. It's one thing to learn about an event or a historical figure sitting in a classroom, but its another thing to literally be standing where the event took place or the historical figure lived. I have always loved that, and when I was here in high school on Alexander Muss, I found myself falling in love with the history of this place. It's complicated and messy but so rich and unique, and I am so excited to be here. (Don't worry mom, I am not making aliyah!)
My classmates are fabulous, and so interesting. Each one comes here with a different story and perspective on Judaism, and as I spend time with them I am gleaning little bits of who they are. It's pretty incredible. Several of my classmates are second career students, meaning they did something else for several years before they came to Israel. One was a criminal defense attorney, another was an engineer, we have a rocket scientist who worked with the Navy, and someone else who worked in real estate. Amazing!
Jessie and I are enjoying life in Israel, even as the homework is starting to pile up! We have set up a regular Hebrew study group, so we meet almost every day and do our homework together. It's been great!
Ok--time to get back to my biblical history readings! Love you all.
Rebecca
What no mention of your amazing AVODAH Skype reunion?! WE MISS YOU REBS! glad you are having such an amazing time. LOVE YOU!
ReplyDelete