After the visit to the school, we went to the Armenian quarter in the Old City. Every time I visit the Old City I am continually amazed by this little microcosm of world religion. Jews, Muslims, several denominations of Christianity, all in one relatively tiny place! The avenues curve and bend and as you walk through the cobblestone streets you hear Arabic coming from one side and Hebrew from the other, and church bells ringing down the street. Pretty incredible! On our trip, we met with three Christian leaders in Jerusalem, an Armenian archbishop, a Protestant nun, and an Anglican priest. All three were fascinating and talked a lot about their communities and what it means to be living in Israel. After the panel, we went to services at the Armenian church. It was the most beautiful building, and I really wanted to learn more about the architecture and history but unfortunately we didn't have time. The service was unlike anything I'd ever experienced, the seminary students sang psalms and another bishop read something in Armenian, and that was it. It was pretty short, but beautiful. There were no benches except for a small row of three in one corner, the rest was open space. Then in the far back there were benches for the seminary students to sit--and a balcony up above for one of the bishops. I wanted to sit down, so I ended up sitting on the same bench as the Archbishop we met with--but I didn't want to originally sit too close since I wasn't sure his feelings about that, and also I didn't want to interrupt his prayer experience. But he motioned for me to come sit near him and then throughout the service he told me what was happening! It was pretty awesome! I felt pretty special getting to sit next to him, and it was very cool.
This week we are going to switch gears and learn about Haredim (ultra orthodox) in Israel, which will be very interesting.
Also, in other extremely exciting news, I will be participating in a joint project with the World Union for Progressive Judaism and going to the Former Soviet Union this spring to lead Passover seders and programming for communities there. Me and 12 other classmates will be traveling to these communities and providing a passover experience that they might not otherwise have. I am going to Belarus with another classmate, and I am so excited! Part of the project includes a fundraising component, and my letter and the link to our website is below. Please consider donating--it would mean a lot to me! Thanks!
My fundraising letter:
Hello! I hope you are doing well and gearing up for the holidays!
As you know, I am living in Jerusalem this year and studying at Hebrew Union College to become a Rabbi. This year has been challenging, but also an incredible experience. I have been able to explore my Judaism and my traditions with a group of thirty-seven dedicated future Jewish professionals, and learn more about being a Jewish leader.
This spring, I will be going on a Passover trip to the Former Soviet Union (FSU) with some of my classmates. This project is sponsored by the World Union for Progressive Judaism, which unites and supports Reform congregations worldwide. This is the 10th year of this project, and I am so excited to be a part of it! I will be going to a community of the FSU and leading a Passover seder, providing educational programming, and working to create a meaningful Passover for Jews who otherwise may not have one. These communities do not usually have rabbis or Jewish leaders, so our job is to connect with them and make their Passover rich in tradition and spirituality. In addition, I will be creating a relationship with Jews in a community I may never have known before, and it will certainly enhance my understanding of world Jewry as I continue on my path to becoming a Rabbi.
As a group, we are divided into committees and will be responsible for various aspects of the program. My job, along with two other classmates, is to create the seder materials and educational programming we will be taking with us to our communities.
However, I need your help in making this project a reality for me. There are many costs that go into the project, including air travel, interpreters, food for the seders, and educational materials. It is my responsibility to raise $2500 in order to participate in the project.
Your contribution will help make this initiative possible. There are several ways to donate, and all donations are tax deductable.
By mail: HUC-JIR Attn: Christina Gall
3101 Clifton Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45220
*Checks should be made out to “HUC-JIR-FSU Project”, please put my name in the memo line.
If you have any questions regarding this exciting project, please email me at ratner5268@gmail.com and check out our website:
Thank you so much!
Rebecca
No comments:
Post a Comment